HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where Are They Now?? (Read 3077 times)
11.07.08 at 12:06:17  

pops   Offline
YaBB Newbies
HFF v2

Thought this would be a great idea...What are the PWL stars of the past doing now? Did they go onto global stardom (ie Kylie) or working in a supermarket (ie The Reynolds Girls)....Im sure it would be really interesting....Ill start it off....popsxx Smiley

What happened to Paul Varney/Yell??

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12.07.08 at 12:16:33  

Wishkid   Offline
HFF v2

Yell! were over when Fanfare went bust.  But they'd kinda lost their credibility and thus fan support before that when it was revealed that Daniel (the dark haired one) was really named Colin (not that there's anything wrong with the name Colin, mind) and was a lot older than he'd claimed.  Such was the early 90's, lol.

Paul went on to record solo with SAW and then SW, initially it was for another label but they pulled out and so PWL signed him.  As I mentioned in another thread, work was started on an album but didn't go beyond that.

Not sure what Daniel/Colin is up to, but Steen tells me that Paul has been writing songs in Denmark for several of the top acts in that country.

So, anyone know what became of Shooting Party, Pause4Thought and Sequal?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12.07.08 at 12:19:58  

InternationalThing   Offline
God Member
HFF v2

Who Cares? LOL

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 12.07.08 at 12:33:55  

Aniron   Ex Member
HFF v2

As for Sequal, Maria Christensen (the blonde) released a self-titled album in 1993, and formed in the mid-90's the girl group 3rd Party. They released an album  in 1997 called Alive, and had two of their singles in the billboard hot 100, Can U Feel It (#43) and Love Is Alive (#61). Their best-known song, though, is Waiting For Tonight, which Jennifer Lopez covered in her debut album. After the album the group disbanded, and Maria released a solo album called Beautiful Now, in 2004, which you can buy on cdbaby

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 12.07.08 at 13:15:36  
Jactarus   Ex Member

InternationalThing wrote on 12.07.08 at 12:19:58:
Who Cares? LOL

Me.  Roll Eyes

Thanks to the members who post infos !  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 12.07.08 at 13:39:31  

BigDave-SAW   Offline
HFF v2
Sheffield

Desiree's still about...the "Princess" still has her crown!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Big Dave's vocals were recorded using the Calrec Soundfield Microphone...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 12.07.08 at 14:06:43  

Stephen   Ex Member

Hey Carl, funny you should talk about Yell! and the Daniel James age thing, cos he threatened me with legal action when I published an article about Paul Varney on my old SAW site Kean Canter Mattowski!!

A good mate of mine (and talented writer) Tim Worthington wrote an article about Paul Varney (we were both slightly obsessed with The Varn as we called him; we used to go into Our Price in Liverpool city centre, and move the cassingle of So Proud of You into the Top 40 chart section. Every Saturday for almost a year!! Ha ha!).

Anyway, I digress. In the said article, Tim referred to the break-up of Yell! and made reference to the press exposing Daniel as allegedly being older than he said he was. Unfortunately, Tim got the alleged real age slightly wrong; Daniel obviously saw it, took umbrage, and not long after, my web provider passed on a solicitors letter asking for the article to be removed!!

How amazing is that??

If I ever get round to relaunching KCM (it is on a long list of things to do, I'll probably do it as a blog), I'll publish a new version of the article. I think I did republish the article before I took the site down, cos I remember Tim reworking it to excise any references to Daniel James!

I had intended to try to contact Daniel James via his solicitor, and ask if he'd like to be interviewed for the site so he could put the record straight! But never got round to it. Ah well...

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 12.07.08 at 16:07:01  

Anil T.   Offline
HFF v2

Varney also had a very nice sort of M People sounding single called "Open the Door to Your Heart" (a cover of a 1960s Soul record by Darrell Banks) that was released as a promo 12" single on Jive in 1995.  Unfortunately, it was never released commercially as a single though I have seen it pop up on a few compilations.

In 1999 Varney wrote the UK's Eurovision entry, "Say It Again" recorded by Precious, as well.  I'd love to know what he's been up to since then.

Regarding Shooting Party, as of the below interview from 2001, Sprout was working for the Virgin Megastore in London.  At that point Sprout was no longer in tough with the other guy from Shooting Party.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 12.07.08 at 16:35:40  

blackjane   Offline
Hit Factory Magazine
Lancashire

Quote:
Hey Carl, funny you should talk about Yell! and the Daniel James age thing, cos he threatened me with legal action when I published an article about Paul Varney on my old SAW site Kean Canter Mattowski!!

A good mate of mine (and talented writer) Tim Worthington wrote an article about Paul Varney (we were both slightly obsessed with The Varn as we called him; we used to go into Our Price in Liverpool city centre, and move the cassingle of So Proud of You into the Top 40 chart section. Every Saturday for almost a year!! Ha ha!).

Anyway, I digress. In the said article, Tim referred to the break-up of Yell! and made reference to the press exposing Daniel as allegedly being older than he said he was. Unfortunately, Tim got the alleged real age slightly wrong; Daniel obviously saw it, took umbrage, and not long after, my web provider passed on a solicitors letter asking for the article to be removed!!

How amazing is that??

If I ever get round to relaunching KCM (it is on a long list of things to do, I'll probably do it as a blog), I'll publish a new version of the article. I think I did republish the article before I took the site down, cos I remember Tim reworking it to excise any references to Daniel James!

I had intended to try to contact Daniel James via his solicitor, and ask if he'd like to be interviewed for the site so he could put the record straight! But never got round to it. Ah well...

How old did the article say that he was? Did you sense that you may have touched a nerve  Grin

Our Price in Liverpool City Centre, on Renelagh Street right by the entrance to Central Station - those were the days.....

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 12.07.08 at 16:41:32  

Anil T.   Offline
HFF v2

I was just looking about on Discogs.com and they have a page that's supposedly for Yell!'s Daniel James.  I say supposedly as Discogs is a user created database and there are often mix-ups when it comes to commonly used names.  But the picture does look like it might be an older, longer haired Daniel.

According to the listing, last year he released a CD in Denmark under the name Cannon Blue and has a MySpace page here:

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 12.07.08 at 16:44:44  

blackjane   Offline
Hit Factory Magazine
Lancashire

Anil T. wrote on 12.07.08 at 16:41:32:
I was just looking about on Discogs.com and they have a page that's supposedly for Yell!'s Daniel James.  I say supposedly as Discogs is a user created database and there are often mix-ups when it comes to commonly used names.  But the picture does look like it might be an older, longer haired Daniel.

According to the listing, last year he released a CD in Denmark under the name Cannon Blue and has a MySpace page here:

Pull the other one - you'll be telling us next that Erik is the same person as Erykah Badu!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 25.07.08 at 00:16:00  

Babycakes   Offline
YaBB Newbies

Posted by Anil:
Quote:
In 1999 Varney wrote the UK's Eurovision entry, "Say It Again" recorded by Precious

- Just to add that he entered the Uk selection as a singer in '97 and made the final eight.The eight acts songs were played on radio.Listeners voted and the 4 acts with the most votes went through to the televised final.Paul wasn't one of the top 4,so was eliminated  Cry SUCH a shame.If all 8 songs had been performed on tv,he could have stood a better chance.That was the year that Katrina & The Waves got the ticket to represent Uk and then went on to win the ESC.
Pauls entry ('Can't You See I'm Crying') was written by Rohan Heath & Steve Long.

I wonder did he ever sing a demo version of Say It Again ?!

He had a song ('If Only I Knew') on the cd soundtrack to the movie 'Up N Under'.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 25.07.08 at 00:22:24  

Gilbert   Offline
Hello
Chicago, USA

Anil T. wrote on 12.07.08 at 16:07:01:
Varney also had a very nice sort of M People sounding single called "Open the Door to Your Heart" (a cover of a 1960s Soul record by Darrell Banks) that was released as a promo 12" single on Jive in 1995.  Unfortunately, it was never released commercially as a single though I have seen it pop up on a few compilations.

In 1999 Varney wrote the UK's Eurovision entry, "Say It Again" recorded by Precious, as well.  I'd love to know what he's been up to since then.

Regarding Shooting Party, as of the below interview from 2001, Sprout was working for the Virgin Megastore in London.  At that point Sprout was no longer in tough with the other guy from Shooting Party.

Open The Door To Your Heart was also released on Promo CD single.  Very nice picture sleeve of Paul Varney...
« Last Edit: 25.07.08 at 00:23:34 by Gilbert »  

Get out of my life, or be committed to me!!!

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 25.07.08 at 02:44:14  
Lee   Ex Member

InternationalThing wrote on 12.07.08 at 12:19:58:
Who Cares? LOL

People devoted to PWL music I would say.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 25.07.08 at 02:48:11  
Lee   Ex Member

blackjane wrote on 12.07.08 at 16:44:44:
Anil T. wrote on 12.07.08 at 16:41:32:

And I always thought the Yorkshire DCI in The Bill was Pete Waterman for years!  Grin

Pull the other one - you'll be telling us next that Erik is the same person as Erykah Badu!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

CLASSIC SAW / PWL ALBUMS RE-MASTERED & RE-RELEASED. INCLUDES TONS OF RARE AND UN-RELEASED MATERIAL. THAT AND OTHER SAW / PWL RELATED STUFF. CLICK ON THE COVERS TO GO TO AMAZON AND GET YOUR COPY TODAY!

eXTReMe Tracker